Take Care of Yourself
With everything going on around us, many are exhausted, stressed, uninspired or even unwell. People often feel guilty or selfish for practicing self care, but taking care of your mind, body, and soul helps you stay happy, healthy, and resilient. Here are a few tips for practicing self-care.
- Make sleep a priority. Avoid caffeine later in the day. Keep your bedroom free of distractions.
- Practice gut health as it can have a major effect on your overall wellbeing. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Take a daily probiotic.
- Exercise. The thought of exercise is overwhelming to many. Go for a walk or get active with the kids. Start small and work your way up.
- Say no sometimes. This can be hard, but if helping others gets in the way of self care, prioritize your own needs.
- Take a self-care trip. Travel to a nearby town and walk through the park or go shopping by yourself. Find a place that makes you happy.
- Go outstide. Sunlight is critical for mental and physical health. Don't forget the sunscreen.
- Being disorganized can bring unnecessary stress. Clean out a closet or pantry. Get rid of things you no longer wear or need.
- Cook for yourself.
- Schedule time for yourself. Even 15 minutes alone with a good book, a coffee, or a bubble bath can do wonders.
- Connect with loved ones and friends. If you're feeling more lonely than normal, reach out to a friend. Connection is important.